Friday, September 24, 2010

On our own

When we left the orphanage yesterday, they told us that Andrew typically wakes up around 6:30am. Yikes!! So we were pleasantly surprised when at 8am this morning Andrew walked into our room with a big smile on his face. Apparently an eventful day with no nap completely wore him out.

He seemed completely relaxed around us today and gave no indication that he wanted to go back to the orphanage. Jen made eggs and toast for us this morning, but again Andrew was only interested in a banana. In the moment Jen was inspired with some divine wisdom and told him that he could have more juice if he would take a bite of egg. That settled it and he finished his eggs.

We took a long walk in the park this morning. We stopped at a few play areas but finally rested in a big field. We brought toys and played until we were hungry.

We came back for lunch. Andrew scarfed his sandwich and we made another attempt at a nap for him. No go. So we tried having some chill time with a video. That lasted for about 2 seconds. We are so thankful to have a week alone with him to bond before we return home. However, that's one week alone with him. It's been a few years since we've been parents of one. At home the kids can keep each other entertained. Here, its just us and we are out of shape for this line of work.

Relief came in the form of a Skype call from the kids at home. Its amazing to see them connect with him online. He smiles, responds and interacts with them more than anyone else he's seen.

After the call we went for another walk in the park. At our first stop in a play area, Andrew climbed to the top of a piece of play equipment and called out "Mama!" for Jen to see. THE highlight of her day.

Its been amazing to see Andrew's progression even after just a short time with us. He has always been incredibly cautious and not very sure-footed. Even at the end of the first visit, Aaron could barely pick him up without it completely overwhelming him. This afternoon he was running and jumping all over the park. Aaron was rough housing with him and even throwing him up in the air( reasonably of course, as all Dads do ). Yesterday and this morning he would not walk with us near water, even while holding our hands. This afternoon he wanted to stop at a bridge and throw sticks in a creek (his idea).

We came home late for dinner, but Jen cooked some chicken. Some trouble with eating but that may have been due to the granola bar in the park to tie him over and the glass of milk he guzzled as Aaron was setting the table.

Bedtime went well. Andrew cried as Jen sat down on the bed with him and rubbed his back. Aaron stroked his forehead as he fell asleep within minutes between wimpers with another glow stick and blanky bear in his hand.


  1. Gave me chills to read this; so happy for you all!

  2. I can't wait to meet this guy. Sounds like he's doing FANTASTIC!

  3. Glad to hear things are going well. We're praying for you all and so excited to meet our nephew! Love you!